Sunday, March 27, 2011

New things...

This has been a weekend of trying new things, although I'm trying to keep my expectations low! There is practically no sap in the buckets we put out yesterday (but some of the tubing had popped off at some point, so it's hard to know if there was anything to lose or not).

Today I tried to make some Mexican style cheese; it seemed to turn out well, and was easy to make. It is still draining, but the texture seems correct (unlike my last attempt at cheese, which required rennet, where the curds were very small and stuck to the cheesecloth). I also tried to make ricotta from the leftover whey, which seems to have worked, although my yield is quite low.

I'm also making ravioli. I have had a pasta machine for a long time, but I used it for polymer clay and hadn't thought of making pasta with it until my friend Liz inspired me with a recipe for sage cream pecan sauce... and I actually had some sage that was somewhat fresh still in the garden! I'm letting the ravioli dry now. We'll see how they turn out....

No comments:

Post a Comment